Prep Method: Stove Top
Updated December 25th, 2021
Ground cinnamon is spicy, fragrant and sweet, all at the same time. It's a spice obtained from the inner bark of several tree species. Shavings of bark from the cinnamon tree are processed and curled to form cinnamon sticks then ground to a fine powder.
Cinnamon is used mainly as an aromatic condiment and flavouring additive in a wide variety of cuisines, sweet and savoury dishes, breakfast cereals, snack foods, tea and traditional foods.
Some of the benefits of cinnamon:
- It has anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Contains antioxidants with anti-inflammatory effects.
- Its prebiotic properties may improve gut health.
- Reduces blood pressure.
- Lowers blood sugar and risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Relieves digestive discomfort.
As with all spices, Ground Cinnamon should be stored in small airtight containers.
Keep spices in a cool, dark place, as heat, moisture and sunlight will reduce their flavor.
Usually found in the Spice Aisle.